Publications and Speeches by Ellen McCulloch-Lovell
- "College Rating Systems: One Size Cannot Fit All"
Chronicle of Higher Education, February 26, 2014
- "A New Measure of Value"
Inside Higher Ed, February 21, 2013
- "Professors and the Students Who Grade Them"
The New York Times, Room For Debate, September 17, 2012
- "Two Nontraditional Presidents Speak Out: 'We Bring With Us a Healthy Impatience'"
The Chronicle of Higher Education, May 8, 2012
- "Colleges as Catalysts for the Creative Class"
The Chronicle Review, December 8, 2006
- "Art as Diplomacy"
Op-Ed, Boston Globe, September 4, 2005
- "Why the Liberal Arts Matter for America’s Future"
Op-Ed, Burlington Free Press, January 30, 2005
- "A Vocation of the Imagination: Creating the Creative Campus" (pdf)
Connection: The Journal of the New England Board of Higher Education, Summer 2005
Selected Speeches and Panels
- Spoke at community meeting for Brattleboro CoreArts Project, titled Exploring Brattleboro’s Cultural Landscape: Past, Present, and Future, Brattleboro, Vermont, January 11, 2014
- Presented and served on panel at the Gallup Education Conference, titled Aiming at Career and Life Wellbeing, Omaha, Nebraska, July 13, 2013
Spoke at the 30th Anniversary of the Governor’s Institute on the Arts, Castleton State College, Vermont, July 7, 2013.
- Appeared at Landmark College as part of their "Turning Points, Making Choices in Politics, Science and Health" academic speaker series, Landmark College, Putney, Vermont, November 5, 2012
- Spoke at World Learning’s 80th Anniversary Symposium: A Defining Leadership Moment, World Learning, Brattleboro, Vermont, October 4, 2012
- Gave remarks at opening plenary of Slow Living Summit, Marlboro College Graduate School, Brattleboro, Vermont, May 15, 2012
- Participated in TEDx SIT event entitled "Building Bridges: Connecting Our Communities," World Learning, Brattleboro, Vermont, May 6, 2012
- Gave remarks to Vermont Higher Education Council and members of the Vermont Congressional Delegation staff, March 20, 2010
- Chaired discussion on the creative campus, Association of Performing Arts Presenters conference, New York City, January 12, 2008
- Was a panelist in the Vermont Council on Rural Development conference entitled "Advancing Vermont’s Creative Economy," which brought together local and statewide leaders looking at ways to use cultural development to support strong economic development, Montpelier, Vermont, July 18, 2007
- Chaired panel at the Council of Independent Colleges Presidents Institute entitled "The Anticipatory Presidency and the 21st Century Campus: Is the 'Outcomes' Culture Only for K-12 Education? Assessing and Making the Case for Educational Quality," Tucson, Arizona, January 2007
- Chaired discussion at the Association of Performing Arts Presenters annual members conference, on the articulation of key questions and findings among those re-thinking the artist/institution paradigm, as well as the encouragement of future parallel and complementary efforts, New York, New York, January 12, 2008
- Gave opening remarks for the New England Foundation for the Art’s Dance Exchange, Rudolf and Irene Serkin Center for the Performing Arts, Marlboro College, March 18, 2008
- Was keynote speaker at the Vermont Women in Higher Education Conference leadership dinner, Burlington, Vermont, April 1, 2008
- Spoke at the heads of schools conference entitled "Leadership and the Election Year, Parallels between the Political Arena and the Headship,” at the Independent Schools Association of Northern New England (ISANNE) spring meeting, Woodstock, Vermont, April 3, 2008
- Panelist at Grafton public policy conference, Grafton, Vermont, June 17, 2007
- Was commencement speaker at Norwich University’s Adult Degree Program, Northfield, Vermont, January 14, 2007
- Was plenary delegate at The Curb Center’s conference, entitled “The Creative Campus,” Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, November 10, 2006
- Spoke at Women in Government conference, on the topic of keeping college costs available, Woodstock, Vermont, July 21, 2006:
- Keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the Association of Performing Arts Presenters of New England, entitled “Education by Presentation: the Societal Role of Arts Presenters,” May 17, 2006