Academics Clear Writing Program
The Clear Writing Program covers academic or expository writing as opposed to creative writing. Clear writing both engenders and reflects clear thinking; it is thus a skill essential to obtaining a Marlboro education. The College requires all incoming students to demonstrate that their writing skills are sufficient to ensure their successful progress through courses and tutorials toward the Plan of Concentration. Students meet this requirement by presenting a 20-page portfolio of clear, concise, grammatical expository writing to the faculty within two semesters of matriculation (with exceptions as noted in The Handbook).
Meeting the Writing Requirement is only a first step towards achieving the level of writing that is required for a Plan of Concentration. Students who have met the Writing Requirement are expected to take at least one course each semester that requires substantial writing --see Designated Writing Courses below --in preparation for work on Plan. Courses are offered every year, which can help students develop skills at all levels. To read further about the Writing Requirement, see Marlboro's student-written Survival Guide.
- Preliminary Writing Exam takes place on Monday, January 21, at 9:00 a.m. in the Dalrymple 38. Results of the exam will be posted here, and your finished exams will be available from your advisors.
Signup sheets for each class will be posted outside the offices of the writing teachers in Dalrymple on Wednesday, September 2. (The writing teachers are John Sheehy, Dalrymple 37; Gloria Biamonte, Dalrymple 24; and Kyhl Lyndgaard, Science 111). Please sign up in advance, and be sure to come to the intro courses if you're really interested in the class.
Writing Seminars (click links below for syllabi and other information)
- Sense of Place in a Rapidly Changing World (Lyndgaard)
- M-T, 1:30 - 2:50, Apple Tree
- Intro class: Wednesday, 8:30, Apple Tree
- West of Everything (Sheehy)
- T-F, 1:00 - 2:50, D38
- Intro class: Wednesday, 9:00, D38
- Writing and the Teaching of Writing (Biamonte)
- M-W 11:30 - 12:50, D42
- Intro class: Wednesday, 10:00, D33E