Academics Gifts & Donations Policy
Rice-Aron Library and Graduate Center Library
Gifts of Materials to the Libraries
The libraries are pleased to accept gifts of books, recordings and other materials and are grateful for the consideration shown by donors. However, because of limitations on staffing, shelving space, and the need to maintain collections which directly support the curricular needs of the institution, donations can only be accepted under certain conditions:
- Donors may be requested to provide a list of titles for the library to review before a donation is accepted or rejected.
- Items should support subjects and disciplines taught at Marlboro.
- The library cannot appraise the value of donated material.
- Donations are handled at the discretion of the librarians, who will determine appropriateness of subject, condition of individual items, whether or not any individual item will be added to the collection, and disposal of the item to book sales, other libraries, or recycling.
- Material donated will not be returned to the donor.
- Gift/Donation processing is secondary to fulfilling the mission of the libraries.
Individuals wishing to donate materials to the library are asked to contact Emily Alling, Library Director, before bringing donations to the library.
The Library provides donors a thank you letter acknowledging receipt of the gift, including a rough description of the extent of the gift (i.e., number of boxes or volumes). We cannot assign any value for tax purposes etc. Donors must obtain an appraisal at their own cost if they desire such.
For more information, or if you would like to support the library other than by donation, please contact Lisa Christensen, the Chief Advancement Officer.