ResourcesConnecting to Akbar with Windows XP
This document explains how to set up access to your home drive on Akbar from a Windows XP machine anywhere on campus.
- A Windows XP PC
- An active connection to the campus network
- A current Marlboro College user account (student, faculty, or staff)
1. Click on the My Computer icon with the right mouse button. A menu will pop up. Select Map Network Drive...
2. The Map Network Drive dialog window will come up.
In the Drive: pull-down menu, select a letter that appeals to you (in the computer lab, the letter
N: is used.)This will become the drive letter for your home drive, like C: is for your computer's primary hard disk.
In the Folder: menu, type:
If you'd like to avoid doing this again the next time you start up, put a check in the box next to Reconnect at logon and your home drive will be automatically restored when you start up.
3. If your Windows login is different than your Akbar username and password, Windows will ask you to enter your Akbar login information.
Enter your Akbar username and password in the appropriate fields. If you would like Windows to not prompt you to re-enter your login each time you access your Akbar account, check the box next to Remember my password.
4. You should see a window open showing the contents of your home drive. Your computer will treat Akbar like any other drive, allowing you to easily move files to and from it.