Educational Technology Specialist Endorsement

The Educational Technology Specialist endorsement (ETS) is required for all licensed Vermont teachers who provide direct instruction in educational technology in Vermont public K–12 schools. Through a state-approved alignment, the only of its kind in southern Vermont, Marlboro’s MAT-T program can provide all 18 credits for the ETS as well as a pathway to licensure for those who don’t already have a teaching license. Whether you are interested in pursuing your initial teaching license, or you have a license already and want to add ETS endorsement, we can help guide you through the requirements.

You can simply fill out our inquiry form to start the process or contact admissions at 802-258-9209.

Initial licensure pathway

For those interested in becoming licensed teachers, you can apply for level one teacher licensure by combining Marlboro’s ETS credits with transcript review and alternate student teaching experience. This pathway is ideal for unlicensed private school teachers, unlicensed paraeducators, or staff in public schools. It is also a good fit for those who can find similar work, or part time volunteering opportunities, while taking courses at Marlboro. Additional coursework can be added to an initial license later for other endorsements, such a math, science, art, etc.

All forms related to applying for licensure must be submitted to the Vermont Agency of Education, and Marlboro does not control the outcome or see any applications. However, we can guide you through the process of completing the coursework necessary for applying for initial teacher licensure through transcript review.

Interested? Learn more about the process and download forms here, and then contact admissions to create a study plan.

Pursuing ETS Endorsement Only

This pathway is for licensed Vermont teachers who want to add a valuable endorsement and include direct instruction in educational technology to their curriculum. If you are interested, download Marlboro College's approved alignment form to see which of our courses satisfy the ETS, and then contact admissions to create a study plan.

ETS courses at Marlboro College

We are proud to be the only institution in southern Vermont offering all six courses (18 credits) required for state ETS endorsement, as described on Marlboro's approved alignment form.

All courses can count toward the MA in Teaching with Technology (MAT-T) and Certificate of Educational Technology programs.

ETS Courses

Other electives, or courses from other institutions, may be applicable; talk to admissions

If you are a licensed teacher from nearby states such as New York, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, or Connecticut, Marlboro courses may also qualify for endorsements offered by your state. Check with your professional development coordinator for details.


  • What can I teach with an initial level one Vermont teaching license and an ETS? Initial licensure meets the Core Teaching Standards, so you can be a primary instructor of courses related to technology, assist any teacher, or manage school technology initiatives.

  • Is a master’s degree required for this endorsement? No

  • Is a bachelor’s degree required? Yes, a BA or BS.

  • Can I add other courses to be able to teach in other subject areas, like science or math? Yes.

  • Do I need to take the Praxis Core exam? Maybe. Praxis Core needs to be taken unless you have qualifying scores on SAT/ACT/GRE. Learn more.

  • Do I need a cover letter or recommendations with my application? Not really. If you want, you can give them a short letter that confirms that you have completed the approved Marlboro alignment, but it isn’t necessary.

  • How many graduate credits are needed in the Transcript Review worksheet? The ETS needs 18 credits, with as little as .5 credits in any individual core teaching standards box.

  • What are the requirements for student teaching alternative experience? Approximately 500 hours of work total, but it could be stretched over several years to accommodate the schedules of working adults.
Apply Now Contact Us