International Students

Marlboro College Graduate and Professional Studies is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.  We welcome international students from around the world, and offer enrollment in two engaging programs ideally suited to their needs:

Below, you will find helpful information for international students interested in enrolling in one of these two programs. If you have further questions about enrollment and admissions, please contact the graduate admissions office at +011-1-802-258-9209 or by email at

Any international student interested in the MATS or MATL program will need to apply for admission to Marlboro College as a full-time, degree-seeking graduate student, a requirement of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Our other programs have more limited face-to-face meetings, and do not meet this student visa requirement. Therefore, they are not open to international students.

Application PROCESS

For your application to be processed, we need to receive the following:

  • Completed Online Application
  • Official transcripts (with certified translation if not in English) and/or WES transcript evaluation (see note below).
  • Two letters of recommendation are required for degree programs. MAT in Teaching for Social Justice applicants should use the recommendation form specifically for that program. Letters may be emailed to Don Parker, admissions assistant.
  • Statement of Intent: Your statement of intent gives you the opportunity to outline the goals you hope to achieve by attending Marlboro College, and it helps us determine how our programs can best fit your needs. MAT in Teaching for Social Justice applicants should visit the appropriate program page for specific instructions on the essay. Please email your statement of intent to Don Parker.
  • TOEFL or TOEIC Score (required - see note below).

Transcript Requirements

  • International students who have been awarded a bachelor's degree from a U.S. institution of higher education may apply for direct admission into graduate degree programs by providing official transcripts of their undergraduate education.
  • International students awarded a bachelor's degree from an institution of higher education in a foreign country may apply with an official transcript and a certified translation of that transcript. In additiona, a transcript evaluation is required of all international students who have studied outside of the United States.* Transcipt evaluation can be performed by any accredited transcript evaluation service, such as WES (World Education Services). Please check here for a full list of acceptable service providers.
    • You should apply for the course-by-course evaluation if you have completed any university-level coursework. It is critical that you read and follow the "Required Documents" information specific to your country of study to ensure that your evaluation is completed as quickly as possible. Please make sure that Marlboro College Graduate School is listed as one of the recipients of the evaluation.  Our address is as follows:
      Marlboro College Graduate & Professional Studies
      28 Vernon Street
      Brattleboro, VT  05301

*Applicants whose transcripts are in English may apply for a waiver of this requirement by contacting the graduate admissions office. Waivers are granted on a case-by-case basis.  

Language Requirements

As an international student applying to Marlboro College, you need to have a level of English-speaking and writing skills that will allow you to be fully engaged in classrooms and the community.

For students whose first language is not English, submit official TOEFL or TOEIC scores directly sent from the testing centers to Marlboro College, (the Marlboro Graduate and Professional Studies code is 3509-01). TOEFL information is available from US embassies worldwide, as well as through the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08540 USA and at

Students with academic degrees from native English speaking countries (Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean, and United Kingdom) do not have to submit TOEFL scores. The requirement for students who have attended a U.S. institution for a period of one or more years may be waived on an individual basis. To be considered for official TOEFL or IELTS waiver, students must submit official transcripts of academic study, showing proof of attendance at a U.S. institution and satisfactory academic progress during their period of study.

Academic qualifications include a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (internet-based), 233 (computer-based) or 577 (paper-based), or a minimum IELTS score of 7.  The minimum acceptable combined TOEIC score is 785. 

Evaluation and Acceptance Process

After we receive the required documents for admissions, we will evaluate your transcripts and notify you of your acceptance into the program.

For specific questions concerning your graduate program application, please contact the graduate admissions office.

Visa Process


Access the International Student fee sheet below to understand the total cost of attending your chosen degree program. You must show that you can meet the total required costs for the program:
MA TESOL (MATL) fee sheet
MA Teaching Social Justice (MATS) fee sheet

Download and fill out the International Students Certification of Finances.

  • You must provide a recent (within three months) copy of your personal bank account statements.
  • If you are being supported financially by any one else, you must provide:
  • You must provide a copy of your passport.

Send the Certification of Finances and supporting documents to: 

  • Kathy Urffer
  • Marlboro College Graduate & Professional Studies
  • 28 Vernon Street
  • Brattleboro, VT  05301
  • *Note: We will also accept digitally scanned copies that can be emailed to:

Once we receive the Certification of Finances and supporting documents, we will send a Form I-20 to the student. The student will then make an appointment for their visa interview at the US Embassy. You must bring this I-20 and supporting documents to your appointment.

Please note:

  • Documents submitted to Marlboro College will not be returned to the student.
  • Those applying for distance education programs only, who will not enter the United States need not provide visa information.
  • Applicants with permanent resident status do not have to send financial documentation but will need to send a copy of their permanent resident card.

Transferring Students

International students who are currently studying in the United States, and wish to transfer to Marlboro College Graduate and Professional Studies from a U.S. institution, must submit a copy of the current valid immigration document, visa, I-94, and passport as well as the Transfer of Certification Form.

For specific questions concerning your VISA process please contact Kathy Urffer, PDSO for Marlboro College.

Important notes on Maintaining Your Student Status

Once you enter the US as a non-immigrant student, you are required to meet the following obligations in order to maintain your lawful student status. You must:

  • Be enrolled as a full-time student each semester during on-campus phases of Marlboro College Graduate and Professional Studies programs (7 credit hours is required for full-time graduate status).
  • Not participate in any off-campus employment without proper authorization from the Department of Homeland Security.
  • Complete your educational program by the date specified on your I-20. If you cannot complete your program in time, you must meet with Kathy Urffer, associate registrar and principle designated school official, and apply for program extension at least 15 days before your I-20 expires.
  • Notify the associate registrar for graduate & professional studies if you plan to transfer from Marlboro College to another school or language institution.
  • Keep the associate registrar informed of your current address, telephone number, and email address.
  • Notify the US Department of Homeland Security of a change of address with in 10 days of the change.
  • Keep your passport valid at all times.
  • Maintain insurance coverage for yourself and all dependants in the US.

Failure to Maintain Status

If you fail to maintain your lawful F-1 status, you are considered to be unlawfully present in the US. In this case you may request to be reinstated by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and only the Department of Homeland Security is authorized to decide whether or not to reinstate the student. Violations of status and being unlawfully present in the US carry serious consequences, so make sure that you carefully follow the regulations and properly maintain your status at all times.

Refer to the Study in the States for more information on maintaining your student status.