Federal Stafford Loans for Graduate Students
If you have been offered a federal student Stafford loan in your financial aid award, and you will be accepting this loan, the following information will guide you through the loan application process and federally required entrance counseling. All federal Stafford loans must be borrowed through the Direct Student Loan Program (also known as William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program).
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Federal Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling
Master Promissory Note (MPN)
In order to borrowing a federal student Stafford loan, you must complete a master promissory note. This note is your contract; by signing it you are agreeing to repay your loan and abide by the terms and conditions of the loan. To complete your MSN:
- Log onto www.studentloans.gov. In the “Manage My Direct Loan” section click on “Sign In”. You will need your PIN from the FAFSA to sign in.
- To obtain information on browser compatibility, on this website refer to the “Learn More” section and click on “What you need for direct loans”
- Documents you will need to complete your MPN :
- Your PIN from the FAFSA to electronically sign the MPN
- Your personal information including social security number and your drivers’ license (if you have one)
- Two personal references including name, complete address, telephone number, relationship to borro
You must complete your MPN in 30 minutes or less, so it is best to be prepared with all the information above before you start. You cannot use the back button to navigate back, and there is no "save" option.
Federal Stafford loan entrance counseling
Entrance counseling explains your rights and responsibilities when borrowing a federal student Stafford loan. This step is required for any student borrowing for the first time at Marlboro College, as well as any returning student who has not borrowed a Stafford loan previously. In order to receive the counseling, return to the home page at www.studentloans.gov. In the “Manage My Direct Loan” section, click on “Entrance Counseling”.
Marlboro College’s deadline for both the MPN and entrance counseling is: Fall 2013: September 6, 2013; Winter 2014: January 3, 2014; Spring 2014: May 2, 2014.