English Proficiency Requirement
To be successful as an international student at Marlboro College, you need to have a level of English-speaking and writing skills that will allow you to be fully engaged in the classroom and the community.
If you are a student whose first language is not English, we ask that you submit one of the following:
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or GTEC Scores sent directly from an official source to Marlboro College.
- Documentation showing that the primary language of your academic instruction has been English for at least 4 years.
- GCE or IGCSE with passing score
- Duolingo exam. If you need to take a language proficiency exam, Marlboro can provide you with a voucher to allow you to take the Duolingo exam without additional fees. Please contact us here to request a voucher.
Scores: while Marlboro doesn’t require you to show a minimum score, successful students typically have TOEFL scores equal to, or above 90 (internet-based) 223 (computer-based), or 577 (paper based), IELTS scores of 7 or above, GTEC scores of 1190 or Duolingo exam scores of 110 or above.
Waiving the English Proficiency Requirement:
- If you have an academic degree from native English speaking countries: (Australia, Canada— except Quebec—Ireland, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean, and United Kingdom) do not have to submit these documents.
- For student who have attended a U.S. institution for a period of one or more years, the requirement may be waived on an individual basis. To be considered for official TOEFL or IELTS waiver students must submit official transcripts of academic study, showing proof of attendance at a U.S. institution and satisfactory academic progress during their period of study.