Financial Aid FAQ

Common Financial Aid Questions from New and Transfer Students.

How do I apply for financial aid at Marlboro College?

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is due by March 1, for new students, April 1 for transfer and returning students. The FAFSA can be completed on line at The school code for Marlboro College is 003690. You can obtain a PIN (personal identification number), used to electronically sign the FAFSA from the Federal Student Aid Pin Website.

Do I contact the financial aid office if I am having trouble completing the FAFSA?

The Federal Student Aid Information Center may be reached by calling 1-800-433-3243. Their trained staff will be able to answer your questions.

How can I verify that Marlboro College has received my FAFSA?

Once your FAFSA has been processed you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) announcement from the Department of Education, sent to your email address used on the FAFSA. An electronic copy of your FAFSA is made available to the schools you've listed on your FAFSA. Details on how to follow-up once your FAFSA has been completed can be found on the FAFSA website.

Do I need to complete the CSS/Profile?

No, you do not; Marlboro College does not collect nor use the CSS/Profile.

Do you need a copy of my tax return?

No. The financial aid office at Marlboro College will not request a copy of a tax return. However, if your FAFSA has been selected for federal verification you may be required to submit a federal tax return transcript. A certain percentage of FAFSA’s are randomly selected for the verification process. We will notify the student if he/she has been selected for federal verification and we will list the information you will need to provide.

Does Marlboro College collect non-custodial parent information?

The custodial parent, also called a dependent parent (and their current spouse) must complete the FAFSA. We do not require any information from a non-custodial parent.

Who is eligible for financial aid?

If you provide Marlboro College with a valid FAFSA you are are eligible to be considered for financial aid. The information provided on the FAFSA will be used to determine your eligibility.

Am I an independent student?

The FAFSA will determine your dependency status. You will be asked questions when you complete the FAFSA that enables the Department of Education to determine if you are a dependent or independent student. (Your dependency status for financial aid may not be the same as your dependency status as determined by the IRS for tax reporting purposes.) An independent student is defined as: anyone born before 1/1/1990; a military veteran; anyone orphan or ward of the court since the age 13; someone who can document they are homeless; and anyone who is married, or who has dependents other than a spouse, who receive more than 1/2 of their support from the student. Dependent students wanting to request a professional judgment dependency override should contact the financial aid office.

Does Marlboro College offer merit scholarships?

Marlboro College does offer Merit and Admissions Scholarships. These scholarships are awarded by the Admissions Committee at the time of acceptance without regard to further financial need.

What is a financial aid budget?

A financial aid budget consists of direct and indirect costs. Direct costs are tuition, student activity fees, comprehensive health fee, room and board (or an allowance for housing and meals for an off-campus student). Indirect costs are an allowance for books/supplies and travel/personal. Indirect costs are not considered when awarding institutional aid.

How will my financial aid award be determined?

After receiving the FAFSA we determine the student’s need, which is the college’s financial aid budget minus the EFC (estimated family contribution). This is our starting point for awarding aid.

What types of financial aid will I receive?

Marlboro College awards funds to eligible students from a variety of sources. These include federal, state, outside and institutional sources. Details can be found on the financial aid section in the college handbook.

What options do I have if I need more aid or need help with my balance due to the college?

Students and parents may have additional resources available through the Federal PLUS loan program (for parents) and alternative or private loans for students. Both loan types require that the borrower (parent or student) apply and complete a Promissory Note. The college also offers a tuition payment plan through our online billing as well as options to charge a credit card on a regular basis. For further information visit the Student Accounts section of our website. Students and families use a variety of other options they may have available such as savings, students wages, home equity loans or lines of credit, as well as low interest rate credit cards. We recommend that students search for scholarships both on the internet and by looking locally. Our recommendation is to call or visit any club, group, organization, church, bank, business, or any other affiliation that you, your parents, relatives, etc. have in your home area.

When are financial aid applicants notified?

If a new student has properly completed the FAFSA by the March 1st deadline, he or she should receive a financial aid award by April 1st. A transfer student that has properly completed the FAFSA by the April 1st deadline should expect a financial aid award by May 1st.

Do I notify the financial aid office if I am awarded a scholarship or grant?

You are required to notify us if you are awarded a scholarship or grant. You should forward a copy of your letter indicating who the scholarship is from and for what amount.

My financial situation has recently changed. Will this be considered?

We encourage families to contact the financial aid office in writing if there has been a change to your financial situation that is not reflected in your FAFSA information. The financial aid office will contact you if we have questions or to request additional information. In some cases we may require you to complete the college’s income and asset form.

Can a student expect to receive the same level of financial aid from year to year?

Provided that your "expected family contribution" stays the same from year to year, you can expect your aid award to remain somewhat the same. There are variables that change from year to year such Pell Grants, Stafford loan levels, and some outside scholarships are only for a single year.

What is the best way to contact the financial aid office?

We prefer that you contact us by email. If you prefer to call us, we take phone calls between 9am and noon and 1pm to 4pm weekdays. Our voice mail message will tell you if it is a particularly busy time and approximately how long it could take for us to respond to your call.

If you need to send us a confidential document, please use our Secure Upload form.

Here is a completel list of ways to contact the Financial Aid Office at Marlboro College.