Diploma & Transcript Authentication (Apostille)

When a transcript or diploma is to be used in a foreign country, it may be necessary to authenticate the documents. Foreign countries often require documents to be authenticated before the documents will be accepted in the foreign jurisdiction. An "authentication" certifies the signature and the position of the official who has executed, issued or certified a copy of a document.

There are two processes to authenticate diplomas and transcripts based on the country that the documents will be used in:

  • Apostille
  • Authentication Certificate

You can find more information about this on the United States Secretary of State’s website

What is the Apostille or Authentication and how do I get one for my Diploma and Transcript?

Upon a written request signed by the student, the Associate Registrar will have the requested transcript and diploma notarized. The Registrar’s Office will then mail the document(s) to the VT Secretary of State for the Apostille. For countries where only an Apostille is required, the documents will then be mailed to you.  For countries where an Authentication Certificate is required, the documents will be forwarded to the U.S. Secretary of State for certification. 

Here is the process to have a diploma authenticated:

  1. Identify which country you will be using the documents in and whether they have signed the Hague Convention. If they have signed it, you only need to request and pay for the Apostille ($100). If they haven’t signed it, you need to request and pay for the Diploma Authentication Certificate process ($140).
  2. Make an 8 1/2" x 11" color photocopy of your original diploma to be submitted to the Associate Registrar with your request. The copy must contain the official seal and signatures.
  3. Print out this Apostille/Diploma Certification request form, fill it out, SIGN IT, and submit it with the copy of your diploma to the Associate Registrar using one of the following methods:
    1. Mail to:

      Kathy Urffer, Associate Registrar
Marlboro College Graduate & Professional Studies

      PO Box A
Marlboro, VT  05344
    2. Email: registrar@gradschool.marlboro.edu
    3. Fax: 802-258-9201
  4. Make the required payment by:
    1. mailing a check with your signed request and copy of diploma.
    2. Use this credit card payment form.
  5. Once the Associate Registrar receives your Authentication Request, diploma copy, and payment he/she will do the following:
    1. Have the documents notarized.
    2. Send the notarized documents to Vermont Secretary of State for the Apostille. If this is all you need, the documents will then be sent directly to you.
    3. If the documents need an Authentication Certificate they will then be sent to United States Secretary of State and then mailed to you.