The staff consists of all employees who are not faculty. Marlboro College employs staff on the basis of employment at will.
Senior Team are those so designated by the President (currently Dean of Admissions, Provost and Dean of Faculty, Dean of Students, Chief External Relations Officer, Director of Plant & Operations, Chief Planning and Budget Officer, Dean of the Graduate School of Professional Studies, Assistant to the President and the President). A faculty liaison and a student liaison–either the Head Selectperson, if a student, or one of the student representatives to the Board of Trustees–are invited to participate in Senior Team meetings.
- responsible to the Board for general management of the College;
- directly responsible to the Board of Trustees for the financial and business administration of the College, and for its relation to other communities, both civil and academic;
- ex officio a member of the Board of Trustees, the faculty, and the Council of Academic Advisors;
- acts as chair of the faculty;
- responsible to the Board of Trustees, jointly with the faculty, for the academic program of the College. The President should maintain that program within the objectives of the College, as determined by the Board. The President is also responsible jointly with the faculty for maintaining order at the College.
- additional duties consistent with the President’s Office may occasionally be assigned to a Dean or business officer by the President.
- with the approval of the Board of Trustees, may occasionally create new senior administrative positions. The President should apply standards for other senior administrative offices to appointments and terminations in these newly created positions. Duties of these positions will be specified by letter from the President to the appointee, at the time the appointment is made.
- junior administrative positions may be created occasionally by the President. Appointment and termination of appointment to these positions are to be made by the President in consultation with the senior administrative officer concerned. Duties of these positions will be specified by letter from the President to the appointee, at the time the appointment is made.
- The Chief Planning and Budget Officer is responsible for budget planning and control, and the Bookstore.
- The Director of Plant and Operations is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the plant, and purchasing.
- administers the academic program, including Plans of Concentration, as formulated by the faculty and is responsible for the advising system and graduate school guidance;
- arranges with members of the faculty the terms of their appointments;
- has authority to resolve questions of academic jurisdiction within the faculty;
- presides at Faculty Meetings in the absence of the President;
- is chair ex officio of the Committee on Faculty and serves on the Curriculum Committee;
- has the authority to grant incompletes in course work;
- is responsible for reinstatements, granting of leaves of absence and terms in absentia;
- is designated as the Dean of the College and is responsible for the general administration of the College in the absence of the President.
- administers those student regulations not delegated to the Town Meeting or to other administrative offices;
- the Dean of Students or his or her delegate is the administrative and faculty liaison with the officers of the Town Meeting, and is ex officio chair of the Dean’s Advisory Committee.
- while the Dean of Students is responsible and ultimately accountable to the President, faculty, and Trustees for general standards of order, safety and decency of the College community, he or she is not bound by the separate standards of any of these persons in performing his or her regular duties as advisor to the officials and citizens of the College community government.
- is responsible for assignment of student housing, the Resident Assistant program, the Recreation program, career guidance, the Health Education program, and new student orientation;
- administers the medical and counseling programs;
- has the authority to grant medical leaves of absence for a definite or indefinite period, and for readmission from medical leave or withdrawal, on the advice of College medical authorities.
The President is appointed by the Board of Trustees and serves at the will of the Board, subject to the provisions of the law and the charter.
Members of the Senior Team
Members of the Senior Team are appointed by the President. Appointments become effective upon confirmation by the Board of Trustees. The President may terminate these appointments after formally notifying the Board.