Communities Giving to Marlboro
Your gifts to Marlboro help in many ways.
Choose to have your annual unrestricted gifts support:
- Unrestricted (wherever it’s needed most)
- Enhancing the Student Experience
- Supporting a Sustainable Campus
- Graduate School programming
- Rice-Aron Library acquisitions
- Windham Community Scholarships, awarded annually to freshmen or sophomores from Vermont who, in the opinion of the faculty, demonstrate exceptional potential for upper-level academic work.
You may also choose to make a gift to these endowed funds:
- Audrey Alley Gorton Prize, given in memory of Audrey Gorton, Marlboro alumna and member of the faculty for 33 years, to the student who best reflects the Gorton qualities of: passion for reading, an independence of critical judgment, fastidious attention to matters of style, and a gift for intelligent conversation.
- Buck Turner Prize, awarded to a student who demonstrates excellence in the natural sciences, who uses interdisciplinary approaches and who places his or her work in the context of larger questions.
- Dr. Loren C. Bronson Award for Excellence in Classics, established by the family of Loren Bronsen, Class of 1973, to encourage undergraduate work in classics.
- Hilly van Loon Prize Fund, established by the Class of 2000 in honor of Hilly van Loon, Marlboro Class of 1962 and staff member for 23 years, is given to the senior who best reflects Hilly's wisdom, compassion, community involvement, quiet dedication to the spirit of Marlboro College, joy in writing and celebration of life.
- Robert MacArthur Prize was established in 1973 in memory of Robert MacArthur, Class of 1951, and recently rededicated to Robert and also to John and to John and Robert's parents, John and Olive MacArthur, who founded the science program at Marlboro College. The contest for the prize is in the form of a question or challenge offered to the entire student community.
- Robert E. Engel Prize, established in 2011 in honor of Bob Engel, Marlboro faculty member for 36 years, is awarded to a student who demonstrates Bob's passion for the natural world and his keen powers of observation and inquiry as a natural historian.
- Rebecca Willow Prize, established in 2008 in memory of Rebecca Willow, Class of 1995, is awarded to a student whose presence brings personal integrity and kindness to the community and who unites an interest in human history and culture with a passion for the natural world.
- Ryan Larsen Memorial Prize was established in 2006 in memory of Ryan Jeffrey Larson, who felt transformed by the opportunities to learn and grow within the embrace of the Marlboro College community. It will be awarded annually to a junior or senior who best reflects Ryan's qualities of philosophical curiosity, creativity, compassion and spiritual inquiry.
- Sally and Valerio Montanari Theatre Prize is awarded annually to a graduating senior who has made the greatest overall contribution to the pursuit of excellence in theatre production.
- William Davisson Prize, created by the Town Meeting Selectboard and named in honor of Will Davisson who served as a faculty member for 18 years and as a trustee for 22 years, is awarded to one or more students for extraordinary contributions to the Marlboro community.
Scholarships and program support
- Christopher Boeth Scholarships, given to a juniors or seniors whose Plans of Concentration are in the field of literature or writing, and who have demonstrated a gift for and an appreciation of the usage of language.
- Jean Crosby Markham Scholarship is given to a junior or senior who best exemplifies the grit and determination needed to complete his or her education.
- John Kenneth Galbraith Student Scholarship is awarded annually to a student who shows the promise of excellence in the fields of literature, economics or social policy.
- Josie Avery Memorial Book Fund, created in memory of Josie Avery '77, provides a stipend to help a first-year student purchase books in support of their Marlboro education.
- M. Brenn Green Scholarships are awarded through the generosity of the late trustee, Brian Greene.
- The Warren R. Sisson Scholarship is awarded annually to an upper-class student for academic achievement and community service.
- Robert Sheldon Stainton Scholarship is awarded annually to an upper-class student for academic achievement and community service.
- Jerome I. Aron Fund was established by Marlboro College in memory of longtime Marlboro friend and trustee Jerry Aron. The Aron Fund celebrates the close collaboration between Marlboro students and faculty by supporting research, fieldwork and/or the acquisition of materials needed to complete a Plan of Concentration.
- The Lillian Farber Scholarships are given to juniors or seniors whose Plans of Concentration demonstrate a passion for social justice.
- Wolf Kahn Scholarship is awarded annually to juniors or seniors who demonstrate talent in the visual arts.
- Arthur D Butler Fund, established in 2008 in honor of Arthur D Butler, professor of economics, provost of SUNY/Buffalo, and president of Housing Opportunities Made Equal. Butler grants will provide support to juniors and seniors whose Plans of Concentration include the study of poverty and social policy.
- Baber Visiting Artists Fund
- Paul & Dorothy Olson Music Room
- General Endowment
Faculty endowed funds
- Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation Chair in the Visual Arts
- Lillian Farber Chair in Technology & Liberal Arts
- Luis C. Batlle Chair in Music
- Roland W. Boyden Chair in History and Philosophy
- Walter & Flora Bishop Hendricks Chair in English Literature, Poetry and Creative Writing
- 60th Anniversary Fund for Inspired Teaching