The Center for New Leadership (CNL) is a project of Marlboro College, in southern Vermont. Partnering with individuals, organizations, and coalitions, CNL is a community focused on exploring and applying transformative approaches to leadership. Our goal is to strengthen leadership capacity in the mission-driven sector through teaching, coaching, and consulting.
- We take an inquiry-based approach, informed more by curiosity than by certainty.
- We cultivate leadership that is responsive, collaborative, and reflective.
- We believe shared learning is a critical means for creating social good.
- We strive to expand the positive impact of the mission-driven sector.
- We foster joy, balance, and rigor in our work.
Who We Serve
We serve the mission-driven sector of northern New England, including individual change-agents, nonprofit organizations, socially-responsible businesses, and cross-sector collaborations. We take a special interest in supporting emerging and nontraditional leaders.
Great leadership requires good theories and even better practices. CNL’s intention is twofold:
- To continually refine the theories of leadership that we teach in our graduate and professional studies programs by testing them against real-world applications.
- To bring our evolving knowledge of leadership and management out into the world in order to help individuals, organizations and coalitions meet their missions effectively and authentically.
The CNL community pursues the twin development of wise theory informed by dedicated practice, and transformational practice informed by inspired theory.