NewsMARLBOROUGH HISTORY COMES FULL CIRCLE
MARLBORO, VERMONT – There was never a better case of old meeting new than when in a sparkling new library Marlboro College Library Director Mary White opened an original manuscript written during the civil war.
The original manuscript of The History of the Town of Marlborough, Windham County, Vermont by Ephraim H. Newton found its way home to Marlboro after a long stint on the shelves of the Cincinnati Museum Center thanks to alumna Pamela Witte Coleman ’93. Coleman, who works for the museum, contacted White recently to offer the manuscript’s return to Marlboro, stating she wanted to see it make its way “home.”
“We were delighted to learn of this. We had the printed version of the book on the shelves, but we had only one copy,” White said, flipping through pages of the yellowed original wearing dust gloves. “We’re anxious to put this on display.”
While it is unclear exactly when Newton wrote the manuscript, it chronicles information on the families and places in town during the 1800’s Civil War period and was printed in 1930 by the Vermont Historical Society. The authentically hand-bound document lists detailed information such as the voting records of the town of Marlboro’s male citizens.
In January, the manuscript will be held in the new archives room of the renovated Rice Library. Rice Library was built in 1965 and this year underwent a $3 renovation and addition which has increased its volume capacity from 64,000 to 100,000.
In January, White plans to create a display in the library featuring sections of the original Newton manuscript. This display will be on view in the special collections room, which will house college archives, the college Kipling collection, and other items dedicated to the history of Marlboro.