Stand Up Fight Back!
Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 9:30am • Cusick Conference Room, Windham Regional Career Center
Join the Spark Teacher Education Institute for a day of workshops, speakers, panels, and community conversations - to share, learn, think, and organize for a better world. This year teachers across the country courageously took to the streets to fight for higher wages, improvements to teaching environments, and bettering students’ learning conditions. As educators in Vermont, we too fight for better conditions in our school, the strengthening of public education, and the overall health and well being of our students. We push to create classrooms engaged in critical thought about the major struggles in the world around us, always connecting these issues to the lives of our students and our Vermont community. This conference is free and open to the public, and is sponsored by Marlboro College in partnership with Educational Praxis, SPARK Teacher Training Institue, Brattleboro Solidarity, and Indigo Radio.
- 9:30–10:45am: Mesoamérica Resiste from Beehive Collective: Making connections among local and global struggles for justice
- 11:00–12:00pm: Keynote by Fred Magdoff: Consequences of the Capitalist System: Toward a Vision of Collective Emancipation
- 12–4:30pm Lunch + Panel Discussions
- Education as Liberation: In the Classrooms and on the Streets
- Profit Over People & the Privatization of Human Rights
- Solidarity in the Struggle: Resisting Occupation
- 4:45 - 6:00pm Closing Event with music & performances