Complaints, Refunds, and Regulations (MAT-LDT program)

Marlboro College values the student experience and encourages our online students to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct for all Marlboro students. Please refer to our student handbook.

Students enrolled in online courses and programs can follow the same procedure as on-campus students if a grievance with the college arises. The actual process will depend on the nature of the complaint, as described below.

Out Of State Online Students for non-instructional complaints

For out-of-state students who reside in SARA states the Council has jurisdiction over Vermont SARA-approved institutions including Marlboro College concerning non-instructional complaints.

Contact Vermont’s SARA Representative to submit non-instructional complaints:

Cassandra Ryan
Fiscal and Regulatory Compliance Coordinator
VT Agency of Education

Instructional complaints, such as grade grievances, are not reviewed by the council and should not be submitted for review. Learn more

Before registering a non-instructional complaint with the NC-SARA council, the student/complainant must complete Marlboro’s complaint process, as listed below.

Academic Grievances

Grade Issues

  1. Begin with a discussion with your instructor

  2. If dissatisfied with the results of that discussion, contact your degree chair.

  3. If still dissatisfied, contact the Dean of Faculty for the College.

Registration Issues, Records, Transcripts

Students with questions or concerns regarding registration should contact:

Discrimination Grievances

Complaints regarding discrimination should be filed with the Compliance Coordinator, Marlboro College, Marlboro VT 05344. (802) 451-7123. For more info, see the Grievance Procedure in the student handbook under “Policy on Discrimination.”

Refund Policy and Financial Disputes

2017-2018 Marlboro College Graduate School Institutional Refund Calculation Policy

Withdrawals and Leaves of Absences Policy
No adjustment of tuition, fees, institutional or non-federal aid will be made in the event that a student withdraws or separates from the College at any time after enrollment except as herein specified. No adjustment is made in cases of suspension or expulsion as a result of disciplinary action.  Students who are granted a leave of absence after the start of classes will be treated in the same manner as students who withdraw from the College for calculation purposes. The same policy applies to a student on a one trimester, two trimester or full-year of absentia status. Exceptions are made if a policy for aid other than institutional aid requires the college to return funds in full or in part.

The Federal Start of Term is the first day of classes.

If the withdrawal occurs before the first day of classes a full refund of tuition and financial aid will be applied to the student’s account. There will be no refund of the enrollment deposit. The enrollment deposit may be carried forward in the event a student postpones enrollment for up to one academic year.

If a withdrawal occurs on or after the first day of classes an adjustment to the student account for tuition and non-federal aid will be made according to the schedule below. 

If the official withdrawal occurs on or after the first day of classes (Federal Start of Term), the schedule of tuition and non-federal aid is calculated as follows, based on calendar days:

  • If the withdrawal occurs within day 1 through day 10, an adjustment of 100 percent is applied to the account.

  • If the withdrawal occurs within day 11 through day 17, an adjustment of 75 percent is applied to the account.

  • If the withdrawal occurs within day 18 through day 31, an adjustment of 50 percent is applied to the account.

  • If the withdrawal occurs within day 32 through day 45, an adjustment of 25 percent is applied to the account.

  • No tuition, fees and non-federal aid is returned or refunded after 45 days.

A student's withdrawal date is:

  1. the date the student officially notifies the Registrar's Office of intent to withdraw; or      

  2. the date the student begins the College's withdrawal process; or

  3. the midpoint of the trimester for a student who leaves without notifying the College; or

  4. at the College's discretion, the student's last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity (which includes but is not limited to an exam, a tutorial, computer-assisted instruction, academic counseling, academic advising, turning in a class assignment or attending a study group that is assigned by the institution).

If the College’s refund calculation policy conflicts with the Veterans Administration regulations concerning enrolled veterans receiving VA benefits, the VA policy on refunds will prevail.

2017-2018 Return of Title IV Federal Refund Policy

Adjustments in financial aid awards for students who withdraw on or after the first day of classes are determined according to a formula prescribed by federal regulations. Marlboro College and the student will be required to return to the federal aid programs the amount of aid received that was in excess of the aid “earned” for the time period the student was enrolled.

The percentage of the trimester completed is the percentage of aid earned: This is calculated by the number of days the student attended divided by the number of days in the payment period (i.e. trimester). For example, if a student withdrew on the 20th day of a trimester 114 days in length, the student would have earned only 17.5% of the aid he or she received (20/114=0.175). Students who remain enrolled through at least 60% of the trimester are considered to have earned 100% of the aid received and will not be subject to a return of Federal Title IV funds. Students receiving financial aid who leave before the 60% point of the trimester may not have enough “earned” aid to cover charges owed but are still responsible for satisfying their financial obligations to the College. Students considering withdrawal are strongly encouraged to confer with the Financial Aid Office and the Student Accounts Office concerning any anticipated refund of charges and adjustments in financial aid. Students may also be required to return funds released to them for personal expenses. Details of the federal regulations can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office. 

Other questions or concerns regarding students’ tuition and fees or financial aid can be resolved by contacting Marlboro’s office of financial aid at:

Call: (800) 343-0049
Fax: (802) 258-9300

Students with Disabilities

See the college’s Access for Students with Disabilities Policy.

Sexual Harassment

See the college’s Sexual Harassment Policy and Reporting Procedures complaint filing process.

The full Marlboro College policy document on sexual harassment is available on request and can also be found in the student handbook.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

See Marlboro’s Graduate and Professional Studies Student Handbook, specifically

“The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education regarding alleged non-compliance by the institution to the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.” 

The disclosure of adverse action taken against the institution (I don’t think we have any but there should be a link to where students can look)

State licensure or certification requirements

The Master of Arts in Teaching: Learning Design and Technology Program does not provide teacher licensure or certification in any state. If the program does not qualify a student to practice this profession where they live without professional licensing, students should be aware that this will make them ineligible for US financial aid.


The Master of Arts in Teaching: Learning Design and Technology program is currently licensed to offer distance education programs in all US states except California, and the territories of Puerto Rico and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Applicants with a currently legal residency in these areas cannot be accepted and will result in the loss of eligibility for federal aid. See the site for more info.