COVID-19 Update

The college is monitoring guidance from CDC and other agencies on response to the COVID-19 crisis. See the latest update on our response.

Office of the Registrar Navigation

Diploma & Transcript Authentication

When a transcript or diploma is to be used in a foreign country, it may be necessary to authenticate the documents.

Foreign countries often require documents to be authenticated before the documents will be accepted in the foreign jurisdiction. An “authentication” certifies the signature and the position of the official who has executed, issued, or certified a copy of a document.

There are two processes to authenticate diplomas and transcripts, based on the country that the documents will be used in and whether or not they have signed the Hague Convention:

  • The Apostille Process is used for countries that have signed the Hague Convention
  • The Authentication Certificate Process is required for countries that have NOT signed the Hague Convention.

Either way, the process for obtaining your notarized diploma or transcript from the college is the same.

Requesting Your Notarized Diploma

You must request a certified copy of your diploma in writing, through one of three ways:

  1. Mail to:

Marlboro College
    PO Box A
Marlboro, VT 05344
  2. Email:
  3. Fax: 802-258-9201

If you want to provide your own copy, make an 8 1/2” x 11” color photocopy of your original diploma to be submitted to the registrar with your request. The copy must contain the official seal and signatures. If you want to request a new copy for certification, the cost is $25. In order to make the payment, contact Student Accounts. Please be aware, whether you provide your own copy or require a new one, that Marlboro’s part of this process could take 4-6 weeks to complete because of the signatures required for the diploma and the notarization.

You will receive a diploma with the following:

  • Seal of the College
  • Signature of the Registrar, attesting the validity of the document.
  • Signature of a Notary Public attesting the validity of the Registrar’s signature.

Apostille Process

After you recieve the document from Marlboro, it is then up to you to submit it to the Vermont Secretary of State to complete the Apostille process. The Secretary Of State will “apostille” the document, which means that they will attach an official document to the diploma indicating that it has been legalized according to the procedures of the Hague Agreement. They will sign that document and apply the State Seal, then return those documents to the graduate. If the country where the documents will be used is a signatory of the Hague Convention, this is all the certification you will need.

Authentication Certification Process

If the country is not a signatory, you will be required to take one more step to complete the Diploma Authentication Certificate process. After you have sent the notarized documents to Vermont Secretary of State for the apostille, you will need to request an Authentication Certificate from the United States Department of State.


(a mostly random selection of Marlboro microdestinations)