Student Employment Navigation

Student Employment

Student employment is a great way to gain work experience and get involved on campus while earning money. You might become a language tutor, admissions tour guide, Citizen staff writer, or theater tech assistant. 


Employment during college helps contribute to student success when meaningful connections between learning in the classroom and learning on the job are made evident.

GROW@Marlboro is focused on making student employment a “high-impact activity” - one that requires students to reflect on their learning and connect their learning within and beyond the classroom.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program provides funds for part-time employment to help students with financial need afford the costs of college.

Part-time positions at Marlboro can be on-campus or off-campus, and can range from clerical work to childcare. Hourly wages are the federal minimum wage, and students typically work 6 to 10 hours a week.

Applying for a Job

  1. Review the job listings (you should pick several)
  2. Send cover letters and résumés to the supervisor listed. Be sure to indicate which position(s) you are applying for and the reason for your interest. If you would like assistance with a cover letter or résumé please contact the Career Development office.
  3. Questions about the student employment process? Contact the Payroll office 802-451-7160/802-258-9275.

When You Arrive on Campus

  1. Contact the supervisors of the positions you applied for to set up an interview.
  2. Complete the I-9, W-4 and State forms. Bring those forms and an original social security card or a notarized copy along with one other document of identification (examples: passport, driver’s license, or state ID) to the Payroll office in the Mather building.

Once You Are Hired

  1. Complete the Authorization to Work for Spring and Fall, or complete the Authorization to Work for Summer form, contract with your Supervisor. Return the contract to the Payroll office. I-9 and W-4/State forms should be turned in along with the contract.

Returning Students

  1. Each year you will need new Authorization to Work for Spring and Fall, or complete the Authorization to Work for Summer form, W-4 and State forms.
  2. You do not need a new I-9 form, but will need to update other documents that are needed for compliance annually.

Students not eligible for Federal Work Study must wait two weeks after the first day of classes to apply for any position. If you are not sure if you are eligible for Federal Work Study, please refer back to your financial aid award letter, call (802-258-9237 or 802-258-9312) or email the Financial Aid Office.


(a mostly random selection of Marlboro microdestinations)