Student Health Insurance
Good health is a major contributor to academic success; therefore, it is important for students to have comprehensive health insurance that ensures access to care when needed.
If students have inadequate health insurance or are uninsured, unexpected medical bills from injuries or illnesses can threaten the ability of students to complete their education. Consequently, Marlboro College requires all full-time undergraduate students to enroll in a health insurance plan. This requirement may be satisfied by students certifying that they are enrolled in a family or an individual health insurance plan. Those students may waive participation in the college sponsored student health insurance plan and must complete a Student Health Waiver.
If a student is not covered under a private insurance plan, enrollment in the student health insurance offered through Marlboro College will allow them to comply with the insurance requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). It will also provide them broad coverage that meets the standards of the PPACA at a lower cost than most individual health plans. The 12-month premium for this coverage for the 2019/2020 academic year is $1,928. Premium for students entering in the spring semester will be $1,195 for the period January 1, 2020 through August 14, 2020.
Marlboro College is able to offer student health insurance at this price by requiring it of anyone who is not covered by another health insurance plan. As a result, students will find a charge for the college-sponsored health insurance plan on their student bills, but they will have the opportunity to waive that charge by completing the insurance waiver process described below. After successfully completing the waiver process, students’ bills will be credited for the health insurance premium. The waiver process must be completed by 11:59 pm, August 31, 2019. New students in the spring term must complete the waiver process by 11:59 pm, January 19, 2020.
Waiver of College-Provided Health Insurance
All full-time undergraduate students must enroll in the college sponsored health insurance plan or certify that they have other valid and collectible insurance under another plan. If they are already covered under another health insurance plan and they do not wish to participate in the college sponsored plan, they may waive out of the college sponsored plan by completing the following steps:
- Access the Student Health Insurance Plan
- Go to the Online Student Health Waiver and follow the instructions carefully. The identification number that you must enter in the required field “Student’s University ID #” is the digits following the hyphen in the ID on the student billing statement.
- Upon completing all steps in the Online Student Health Waiver, to expedite the credit of the charge for health insurance, students may print out the confirmation page and email a copy to the Student Accounts Office (Email: email@example.com).
If students choose to not or cannot send a copy of the confirmation to Students Accounts before the online waiver deadline, their accounts will be credited on a list of waivers provided to the college by the insurance company.
- The online waiver must be completed by 11:59 pm, August 31, 2019. Online waivers must be completed by 11:59 pm, January 19, 2020 for students entering in the Spring 2019 term. After this date, students will not be eligible to waive this insurance or have this charge credited on their student bills.
Overview of the College Sponsored Health Plan
All student health insurance plans must comply with health insurance standards established in the federal PPACA. Under that requirement, the student health plan available through Marlboro College will be a full-featured health insurance plan rather than a limited student injury and sickness health plan. The 12-month premium for the student health insurance plan will be $1,928. Premium for students entering in the spring semester will be $1,195 for the period January 1, 2020 through August 14, 2020.
An explanation of benefits can be found at www.chpstudent.com. Features of the college sponsored student health plan include the following:
- Unlimited Maximum Benefit per Policy Year
- Pre-existing Conditions Covered for all plan participants
- No cost sharing by students for in-network Preventative/Wellness benefits up to the plan maximum
- Coverage for all Essential Services required by the PPACA
- Ambulatory Patient Services
- Mental Health/Substance Abuse
- Rehabilitative Services
- Diagnostic Tests
- Maternity & Newborn Care
- Prescription Drugs
- Durable Medical Equipment/Devices
- Wellness/Preventative Care
- 24/7 Nurse Advice Line
- Medical-Related Travel Assistance
Information about Managed Care Plans
As students make decision regarding participation in the college sponsored health insurance plan, if they live outside the local area and are covered under a managed care plan (e.g., HMOs, POS, and prescription drug plans) they should clarify the nature of their coverage while they attend Marlboro College. Many such plans restrict coverage to only emergencies when students are out of their home coverage area. Students should also consult their health plan representatives about the types and limits of coverage for physician fees, hospital costs, laboratory and radiology tests, and prescription plans while residing at Marlboro College.
Any questions regarding billing for the student health insurance may be directed to the Student Accounts Office (802-258-9241).