Employment Type Definitions
The following definitions will help you interpret the policies and benefits outlined in this handbook:
- Employee: All persons employed by the College, including staff and student employees.
- Exempt Employee: An individual employed in a position that meets the law’s criteria to be exempt from requirements to pay overtime due to the nature of the work.
- Non-Exempt Employee: An individual employed in a position that does not meet the law’s criteria for exemption from overtime pay requirements. Non-exempt employees report hours worked and must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 per week.
- Staff: Staff comprise all of the College administration and support positions as well as facility maintenance positions. In other words, staff includes all positions not designated as faculty members or students. Some staff members, by nature of their positions, are faculty ex officio; those are the president, the dean of students, the dean of admissions, the dean of faculty, the library director and the director of academic advising.
- Regular Staff: A staff member hired to a position for an indefinite period.
- Temporary Staff: A staff member hired to a position for a temporary period, usually to fill a vacancy. Temporary staff members are not eligible for benefits.
- Full-time Staff: A staff member scheduled for and who typically works 37.5 or more hours per week.
- Part-Time Staff: A staff member scheduled for and who generally works less than 37.5 hours per week. Part-time staff members working greater than 30 hours per week are eligible for some benefits.
- Academic Calendar Staff Member: A full-time, part-time, regular or temporary staff member who is only scheduled to work during the academic year while students are enrolled in classes.
- Senior Staff: The president appoints members of the senior team. The senior team includes the dean of students, the chief academic officer and dean of faculty, the dean of admissions, the chief financial officer, the director of plant and operations, associate dean for graduate and professional studies, and the chief advancement officer.
- Student Employee: A full-time student currently enrolled at the College who is employed by the College in a non-exempt, part-time, temporary work assignment. Student employees are not eligible for College-provided benefits. Student employees do not typically work more than 10 hours per week. Student employees may also work between semesters if they expect to return as full-time students in the subsequent semester.